Pain relief cream meant for humans proves deadly for cats

Five cats became seriously ill and three of them died after being exposed to their owners’ pain relief cream.

Two developed kidney failure and recovered after receiving veterinary treatment, but the cats that died had high levels of the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug flurbiprofen in their systems, according to necropsy results. The owners reported using the cream to treat themselves for arthritis pain; they never directly administered the medication to the cats.

According to the AVMA, ibuprofen is the human drug pets most commonly ingest.

One thought on “Pain relief cream meant for humans proves deadly for cats

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s